Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Olives

So, I was making dinner (cheese enchiladas, spanish rice, and refried beans), when I got to thinking about whether olives were a fruit or vegetable. I did some looking around the internet, and here's what I found:
  • From a purely scientific perspective, olives are technically a fruit because they are ripened ovaries and seeds of plants.
  • From a culinary perspective, olives are more like a vegetable; they probably wouldn't go well in a fruit salad, but fine in a tossed salad.
  • From a nutritional perspective, olives are more like meat, at least that's the gist of what I read in a very short time; they are high in fat, salt, and protein.
It appears, then, that the answer really depends on why you want to know, much like most everything else in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment