Friday, August 13, 2010

WoW experiment (Fillaz)

Since I finally leveled a toon to 80 in World of Warcraft, and experienced a lot of problems and annoyances while doing it, I wanted to try leveling a toon to see if I could overcome the issues I had and wind up with a well-geared, experienced level 80.

Now, I could have overcome some of the problems by using my 80 to get BoA gear, but I really wanted to see if it could even be done without that kind of help. I'm also not planning to join a guild, although my experience with guilds hasn't really helped me anyway. I usually put more into the guild than I get out of it.

So, with that in mind, I started (actually restarted) a troll rogue named Fillaz on the Tortheldrin realm. Yes, I deleted the toon, then recreated another with the same name. I don't have much experience with rogues or melee dps in general, so I thought it would make a nice change from what I was used to.

The plan is to avoid learning any manufacturing professions, which mostly cost gold while leveling, and instead just have two collecting professions. Of course, I also plan to keep the secondary skills up, and so far, it's worked fairly well. I chose skinning and mining as my primary professions, mostly because I think the buffs from those are going to be the most useful.

As I'm writing this, it is my second day of playing this toon, and here is where I stand in terms of gold and inventory space:

· 46 gold, 43silver, 59 copper

· 48 total bag slots

· My bank may be about one quarter full, but I can't check for sure right now

· I actually have about 20 gold more worth of stuff on the auction house

In terms of gear, I'm not great at this point. Mostly white quest items, and a couple of greens. In fact, according to WTF is my Gear Score, his score is a fail at only 4, 9 below average for his level. I did purchase a level 15 dagger from the auction house (I figured I wasn't likely to get 2 really good daggers before then) in preparation for the next part of the plan, which is to start doing battlegrounds and random dungeons on a regular basis. I leveled my 80 mostly doing battlegrounds, which made leveling fast, but left him broke and without enough high level gear when he got to 80. It also left me sadly inexperienced in doing dungeons, since I stopped doing them around level 30 in favor of battlegrounds.

Another website that I found, MaxDPS reports his total dps as 252. I actually think it's more like 20, and that the calculations may be incorrect at low levels. And of course, it's really dependent on who he is fighting. Still, I think it will give me some idea of how much damage I should be able to generate, and hopefully will help make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Okay, I'm off to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment