Friday, July 01, 2011

I think I've Got It!

For the last four years, I've been told countless times by HR people that I wouldn't fit in very well in their organization, or at least not as well as someone else. It has taken as many years for me to understand exactly what that means.

You see, I actually believe that I am unique, and that given the opportunity, I can make real and positive changes wherever I work. Sadly, though, nobody wants that. Change is bad. It makes us uncomfortable because suddenly, we don't really know what to expect tomorrow, and we would much rather know that tomorrow is going to bring the same mediocre outcomes and yesterday. But we know that we need to strive for improvement, so we convince ourselves that we are making real changes by calling things by different names, but nothing is fundamentally different; and therefore, it's comfortable.

It's sad, really. It means that we are so afraid of failure that there is no real innovation taking place, even as it appears there is, since everything is called by a new name, or changed the packaging, or made some other cosmetic alteration to the same thing. I guess these days, we do judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment