Saturday, February 16, 2013

Let's at least try to think

I've written before about how people need to forget about their ideologies and try thinking rationally instead.  It hasn't made much difference in the world.  But, here's an article that appears to back up what I'm saying.


The Surprising Brain Differences Between Democrats and Republicans

I know, it's Mother Jones.  Probably leftist propaganda of some sort or other.  I thought it would be.  I thought the article would end by telling me how conservatives regularly don't think while liberals do.  It didn't say that, though.

"We need a much broader and more thoughtful discussion about what it means if political ideology turns out to be nothing like what we actually thought it was. Scientists working in this new field tend towards the conclusion that the new research should make us more tolerant, not less, of political difference—not to mention a whole lot more humble about our own deeply held beliefs."
I disagree a little bit with this ending comment in the article.  I don't think we need to be more tolerant, I think we need to question "our own deeply held beliefs."  The meaning of this to me is that our ideologies cause us to make decisions based on fear or emotion, when we should be using rational thought, i.e. thought free from fear or emotion, to make decisions.  Of course, then we can read the comments and realize that nobody thinks the article applies to them, which is always good for a laugh at both Democrats and Republicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment