Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The electoral college

Some people think the electoral college is good, and some think it's not so good.  I actually don't much care, although I probably should.  Instead of thinking about the pros and cons of it, I instead got to thinking about why it's called the electoral college.  I couldn't find the answer, so I chose my own explanation: it's supposed to make the election results look as if an educated electorate did the voting!  Unfortunately, it's failing, and that's why so many people want to do away with it.  Doubly unfortunately, doing away with it won't likely make the election results look any more as if the electorate is educated, because, you know, the electorate is basically uneducated.  Good thing we're practically giving away college degrees, so that there's at least some semblance of education going on.  I'd feel a whole lot better about things if we gave up trying to look smart, and actually started being smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment